Wednesday, March 10, 2010

courage

I get to hang out with some brave kids for my job.
Today I was doing a homevisit for a little 8 yo girl and her 4 yo brother. So first I got all the updates about school, recess, friends, not liking vegetables... Then I sat on the 4 year old's bed while he showed me his "video" of animals and superman. He called ostriches - ostrings. He counted to 10 for me and then made up his own numbers to get to 20. He told me he doesn't know what adoption means, but he wants to stay where he's at. He gently took the TV remote away from the toddlers who want it to be a toy. He's being a great big brother!
His sister showed me pictures of her bio family that she's starting for forget her cousin's names, so we'll write them down so she can remember. She asked me nervously if I ever heard back from her dad. Her dad never called. Dads you should call. Your little girls need that. She'll never probably see her dad again. She bravely asked me if this foster family could be her adoptive family, she beamed when I said yes! She told me she was going to Costa Rica! I told her I wanted to go. Costa Rica isn't really going to happen yet, but I love that she's dreaming of travel.

And then at dinner as I was talking to the grandpa, I overheard:
E - ....You weren't born when that happened.
W - I liked being born! I loved being born.
E - You don't remember being born and neither do I , but I love being second born.
W - I love being second born.
E - I love being born again.
W - Born two times? I like being born 2 times.
E - W, did you ask Jesus in your heart, are you saved? That's how you're born again.
W - I don't know. E, did you get baptized?
E - Yes
W - I didn't see it.
E - You must have missed it. Maybe I can do it again.

E gave me a hug on the way out.

Cute kids. Brave kids. Cool kids. Love these kids.

1 comment:

Thai Adventurer said...

I love your heart for these kids. I miss you...it is really hard not being on facebook and I need to talk to you soon! Love ya! Praying for your job, I am sure it is tough! :)