So many of you asked what will I be doing in Africa: Here's week one, I can't promise this will happen every week but here's my summary:
I'm getting over jet lag, yet getting a cold. Megan was working out in a town called Qacha's Nek this week, so I was supposed to go with her Monday, but the flight was full, so then I hung out with Jill, another doctor... had lunch across the border in South Africa, and then she got called into the clinic. So I took a nap, got up had dinner, and went back to bed. I think about 15 hours of sleep!!!
So then Tuesday morning Megan called and I was able to get a ride with a couple ladies that were headed to Qacha's Nek if I could be ready in 10 minutes. My bags were still packed from when I thought I was taking the flight on Monday with her, so that was easy!
It was a beautiful drive, around Lesotho on mountain road. Reminds me of maybe Arizona/Western Colorado. I've never really been to Arizona, but still sort of like that. :)
Wednesday I was able to go to the clinic with Megan, she saw kids and worked with the nurse there. I was so sleepy that day that the nurse, asked me if I knew kickboxing, he thought if I did some kickboxing I would wake up/get over my jet lag. And then he gave me the task of counting pills, I was happy for something to do. Megan saw a cute little guy dressed in camo gear, and it was his 6th birthday! We had a mini celebration with stickers and taking his picture.
Thursday we were at the hospital. Saw a woman who had been horribly beaten earlier this week, very sad, her injuries were very bad. Megan and I had the discussion earlier that if anything was "too much" for my stomach, I could just leave the room and she would come find me. I had to step out on this one.
Then today I rode back with the ladies to Maseru, Megan flew back, and we've had a relaxing evening. :)
I might have some opportunity to help out in the orphanage in Maseru, hopefully will be able to contact the lady in charge next week. And then we talked to a guy tonight, that needs some help with some testing and events that he helps put together at the clinic...
You know I couldn't sit around too long :)
No comments:
Post a Comment